Thursday 4 August 2011

News: Adam Johnson speaks out ahead of the new season

Speaking to the MEN's Rob Dawson, the 24 year old winger has said that he is happy to play wherever manager Roberto Mancini asks him too this season, knowing of the ever increasing options available to the Italian tactician. Ever since his arrival to the Etihad Stadium, he has frequently been used on the right wing, a tactic used by many foreign clubs nowadays where wingers are played on the opposite side.

With regards to his new founded position, Johnson said: "Foreign wingers play on the opposite side and I think that’s how it’s going. I’ve had conversations with the manager and there are some things we agree on and some things we disagree on."


Johnson was very much quick to praise Mancini's mentality though, and is grateful for being brought to the club way back in January 2010


"Which side do you want me on, boss?"
AJ is prepared to be flexible this year
“He just wants to win every game. He focuses on everything, down to the last little thing, and  that’s probably one of the reasons we did so well last season."

"Since I signed, everything has changed for me. It’s given me the chance to play for England and express myself in a massive team. I don’t think the defensive side has ever been an issue in my game but at City you don’t have to use it as much. Now I’m at City I get the chance to attack more and that’s what I like doing.  
"Since I’ve come to City I think I’ve definitely improved. When you play with top players it brings you on. You probably learn more from just watching the players in training than you do from the coaches sometimes.”

He is looking forward to the prospect of playing Champions League football next season for the first time of his career, and said: "The Champions League is a massive thing. I haven’t played in it and it’s another thing I’d like to do in my career.”

Johnson also spoke of his desire to make the cut for the England squad for the 2012 European Championships next year, after narrowly missing out in last years World Cup squad

He said: "I want to be playing games because there's a championship at the end of the season. That’s definitely at the back of my mind. I definitely want to go there after missing out on the World Cup and I think England have got a great chance."

No comments:

Post a Comment